Friday, December 14, 2007

Christmas Songs That Count

One of the downsides of having every other radio station on the dial playing Christmas music is that by around mid-December, say today, we’ve had just about enough of Wonderful Christmastime, not to mention Grandma Got Run Over By a Reindeer. I’m on a hunt for Christmas song download ideas. I want songs that both remind me of the season and draw me to the Savior.

If you’re like me in this, maybe we can all serve one another. The following is my own personal list of ten favorite versions of ‘true’ Christmas carols. All are available as downloads. It’s important to let you know these are personal favorites – my kids and Jill would give you a much different list. But here is mine with some comments. You’ll notice some standards are missing – no “Hark the Herald Angels Sing” for example. That’s because I haven’t found a recorded version that rises to favorite status.

What I’d like is to hear from you on your favorite versions of carols. If we get a good list we’ll post it next week so we can all go into Christmas week with fresh opportunities to worship. The only conditions are:

· We’re not looking for secular holiday songs, but for Christmas carols

· Songs need to be obtainable – preferably downloadable.

· No criticism of my list is allowed. Remember ‘good will toward men’ and all that.

Ten Songs for My Season (in no particular order)

The First Noel - BeBe and CeCe Winans (Love this version)



O Holy Night, Steve Green (Josh Groban is who you hear, but Steve Green’s older version gives me chills)


In the First Light, Glad (A great Bob Kauflin Song. I’m not a big fan of Glad, but I like what they do here. Todd Agnew has recently done it as well.)



One Quiet Moment, Glad (See above, minus Todd Agnew)


Christ the Lord Is Born Today, Sovereign Grace Music (My favorite song on a great album)

Little Town, Amy Grant (From her first album, sounds dated, but a nice idea. We did this as a Christmas special back in the Gauntlett Center, and it was a joy from first rehearsal to Christmas Eve)

Joy to the World, BeBe and CeCe Winans (I really like this version but would love a more traditional version suggestion)

O Come, O Come Emmanuel, Phillips, Craig and Dean (I love the way this builds, and the harmonies – joy in a minor key)

O Come All Ye Faithful, Steven Curtis Chapman (We did this as a Christmas special a few years ago as well – a very nice arrangement, though some unnamed worship team members would beg to disagree.)

The Little Drummer Boy, Harry Simone Chorale (I always thought this was an odd song, but one of my great memories as a kid was singing this arrangement in a combined children/adult choir at our church at the candlelight service. Takes me back).

So there you go. And please give me a “Hark the Herald Angels Sing” recommendation.

No comments: