Tuesday, December 4, 2007

Parking Lot Devotions

Hi Ladies, Mark here. We’ve asked some of the ladies in the church outside the pastor’s wives to contribute to our Tuesdays at Fivebucks. Here’s something from Deb Demi that help us all during the holiday shopping season.

“Today I experienced the most frustrating parking experience of my life. With ‘Black Friday’ door busters crying out to me, I made my way to the mall thinking that by noon surely I would miss the crowds. And, I reasoned, this is Altoona. How many people could possibly shop in Altoona? As I headed into the mall parking lot, I figured that I would need to park far away. As a driver of a 15 passenger van who likes the open spaces away from the building, I wasn't bothered by this prospect. However, it didn't take me long to realize there were no parking spots anywhere in the mall parking lot - even in the overflow areas. I drove around and around and around... Occasionally I'd patiently wait as I saw someone walk to their car, but inevitably a cute little compact car would pull out and I knew that there was no way that I could squeeze "the beast" into the microscopic space. I was beginning to become exasperated - frustrated that there was so much traffic, frustrated that I had to drive a 15 passenger van. Suddenly the Lord arrested my heart. Was there complaining in there? Was this really a big deal? It was at this time that I realized that I had a choice with what I did with my thoughts. I could continue to dwell on my difficulties and inconveniences or I could begin to recount more significant reasons to be grateful. As I drove around (and around) I began to thank that Lord that I had so many kids that I needed a 15 passenger van. I thanked God that I had a van and that I had money for shopping. I thanked Him for the Holy Spirit who was currently convicting me. I began to ask the Holy Spirit to help me show kindness to others who were frustrated in the parking lot by letting them go first. I purposed to show the love of God to people in the mall by smiling at them instead of being another frustrated shopper.

After 30 minutes of aimlessly driving around, trying to avoid accidents and watching little compacts grab the vacating spots, a space in the far reaches of the parking lot cleared. I carefully eased my monster into the spot, trying not to think of how I would get out. But I was not struggling, I was at peace. God had once again used my inconvenience to draw me to Himself, to see things from a grander perspective. How many little things in life can steal our joy? Life provides us with many inconveniences and annoying circumstances, however, we have grace to choose how we are going to respond. May God be glorified in all circumstances of our lives - even in big vans in crowded parking lots during this holiday season.

‘So whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God.’

1 Cor. 10:31 “

1 comment:

Bill & Ramona said...

Deb...This is such a helpful reminder in an extra busy season to look at the 'frustrations' of our lives in light of the wonderful blessings we've received from the Lord and His faithfulness to us. Thanks for sharing your experience and the Lord's activity in it! It is a reminder to me of how ready the Lord is to give us 'His' perspective and grace in the midst of the circumstances of our lives.