Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Hot Chocolate Anyone?

Not too long ago my daughter Rosie and I went for an early morning walk before breakfast. I walk and she rides her scooter—good exercise for both of us. She’s a real trooper especially since winter mornings can be so cold. As we entered the kitchen I was starving! She asked if I would make her some hot chocolate, but the first thing that came to my mind was my loud stomach and hunger pangs! I announced it was time for her to learn to make her own hot chocolate. I barked out the steps as she got the milk and the chocolate sauce out. Meanwhile I was chomping down on my shredded wheat (something not even tasty—which my family continually reminds me). She finally got her hot chocolate, but as she sat down I was off toward the rest of my day and my agenda.

Later that morning we were reading the book "Heaven for kids" by Randy Alcorn, and the few pages we read were about good deeds which do not earn our way to Heaven, but nonetheless please God and can bring rewards for us in heaven. Alcorn gave some examples saying, “Good works include helping and doing kind things for people, such as visiting someone in a nursing home, baking cookies for your neighbor, or making hot chocolate for a family member.” (p. 105). Startling, you would think. But I was dull to my heart, and it took a while for this timely little rebuke to from the Lord to sink in. Later that night, by God’s grace, I was able to confess at our fellowship group, and I started to see my selfishness and God’s grace to reveal it to me. “For truly I say to you, whoever gives you a cup of water to drink because you belong to Christ will by no means lose his reward.” (Mark 9:41) I realize I missed an opportunity that day, but thankfully the lesson has not been lost on me. I try to be quick now to offer hot chocolate when we return, and I am the one who is blessed when I see her face as she slurps up those marshmallows.

God is so kind to not leave us to ourselves. If any of you ladies can relate to my selfishness and the difficulty of serving your children over and over in what seems at times to be a thankless job, remember that the Lord is not asleep. He is an ever present help. He is able to bring our sins to our attention, grant us forgiveness and extend grace for change. He cares about even the smallest things. He will bless the dishing of love in any form we give it – hot chocolate included. What an amazing God we serve!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

For me, it's not as fun as hot chocolate, it's potty training, an endless, thankless job. Yet service to our children, even in this, is service unto Him! "...a cup of cold water in my name..."

Thanks, Andrea, for that timely reminder that God's grace is abundantly available for us to serve our families selflessly, with joy, even in the minutiae of life.

Anonymous said...

I have seen my selfishness in my relationships with my granddaughters. When they visit they seem to want me to be with them all the time. Most of the time I am delighted to be with them and to do things with them. However I can be selfish and lazy and expect down time.

Thank You Andrea for the reminder!!

Diane Brisiel