Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Small things

I happen to be sitting in front of a crackling fire as I write this—it is a rare but wonderful occurrence that is helping me forget the four loads of unfolded laundry behind me. I’ll just be veeeery careful not to turn my head.

The boys, and Jim, are playing with a stomp rocket INSIDE (this is serious submission for me) so every couple of seconds, a Styrofoam rocket whizzes by my head and bangs into an unsuspecting target in the kitchen. I’m kind of hoping it breaks another one of my ugly blue Eighties vintage dinner plates. I’m trying to knock them off one by one.

Life in my home is probably a lot like yours. There are wonderful parts, crazy parts, difficult parts, and most of all a lot of noise.

After a challenging day yesterday, Jim asked me as he was heading to Alpha whether I was planning on doing worship with the kids, which is what I usually shoot for on Wednesday nights. I looked at him with the best non-committal face I could manage and kissed him good-bye.

But as 7:30 rolled around, I figured I might as well do it—it was a small thing and it would be a nice way to end the day. So all five of us flopped on my bed, and I grabbed my guitar and a pick that Adam had extracted from the pirate’s den (his room).

As we sang a couple of worship songs, I looked around--one of my kids had dragged three of her blankets onto the bed and one of the boys was playing air guitar violently – but quietly - to the slow-paced song we were singing. But it was going well.

I opened the Bible and read a Psalm about God’s steadfast love, and as I listened to my own voice I felt the familiar lump in my throat as the truth of God’s faithfulness hit my tired soul. I started playing, “Oh no, you never let go”, and everyone was singing—even the air guitarist. And I felt the presence of God. God was with us in my messy bedroom, and in our messy hearts.

It wasn’t a revival. No one ended up face down on their pillows crying out for mercy. But we were all reminded of God’s amazing love for us. And one of my children came to me later and whispered with excited eyes, “Mom, I really felt like I was… like I really was meaning those songs this time!”

What could be better? I was reminded that our lives, especially as moms, are composed of little things. Little decisions. Little acts of faith. And they’re done in imperfect environments with imperfect people. But one of God’s specialties is turning our little things into his big things. I wonder what tiny little acts of love and faith I can do tomorrow that God is already planning on blessing and multiplying? How 'bout you?

3 comments:

Christina said...

This so encouraged me Trish...thank you! I think of those long days when Bill has a game & will not be arriving until 11. I often just try to "survive". I pray God will help me to step out in faith & use those times to lead my kids to the cross & worship!

veryholyone1 said...

Thanks for sharing Trish! I have a similar testimony. I had planned a special time of devotions with one of the children at the end of a busy Saturday. The little ones were tucked neatly into bed and the older kids were out with Daddy. I wasn't even sure what we were going to to do; we ended up reading a chapter of a Spurgeon book on being God's friend. As we sat and talked together, my child was moved by the Spirit to confess a hidden area of sin and ask for help in overcoming it. My heart wasn't expecting God to move, but he did anyway! I was so excited and inspired by God's faithfulness in spite of my lack of faith and enthusiasm.

Anonymous said...

Trish, thanks so much for reminding me that little things are where God works. I so often fall for the lie that our "environment" has to be perfect in order for good things to happen and miss opportunities to see God at work. (And my environment is rarely anything resembling perfect!) He is more interested in the inner workings of my heart than the inner workings of my house. Your post was a great blessing to me. I will come back to it again for more encouragement.
Thanks, Tracie