Tuesday, November 6, 2007

What’s Your Order?

Welcome to “Tuesday’s at the Fivebucks.” By the way, “Fivebucks” is an affectionate name we use around the Prater house for every time we stop at Starbucks we spend at least Five Bucks!! Can you relate?

As Andy mentioned last week, every Tuesday will be devoted to addressing women’s issues. Living with 4 women most of my life, I know this will be a challenging task because women are mature, intelligent and resourceful. So after getting this assignment the first thing I did was call home and yell “HELP!” You ladies face issues daily that are hard for me to completely relate to. I can’t effectively tell you how to change a diaper, answer the phone, help your 8 year old with his math problem, dislodge the gum that your 3 year old just fed the cat, read your Community Group assignment and make a “wonderful” dinner all at the same time with “the joy of the Lord” oozing from your pores!! But I bet I know some women who can help.

So the best way for me to serve you is to connect you with the resourceful women of Covenant Fellowship Church and beyond. On Tuesdays you will hear from ladies who are wrestling with the same issues you are as a woman, wife and mother and yet have found great hope in their God, His Word and His amazing, transforming grace. In other words, Tuesday at the Fivebucks won’t primarily be pastors writing to women, (although we may drop in time to time), but an opportunity for you to you hear from and interact with other women.

And this is where I really need your help. What are the issues and challenges that you face in the day to day as a wife, mother, and disciple of Christ that you would like to see addressed? Take a few minutes and respond to this blog post and send me your thoughts, ideas, and the issues you would like to see addressed on Tuesday’s at the Fivebucks.

I can’t wait for you to hear from some of the ladies in our church, because the women of Covenant Fellowship are some of the most amazing, impressive and resourceful people I have ever met. And to give you an idea of how resourceful you ladies are, please take a look at this below.





Oh, and today the Fivebucks is on me.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

looking forward to tuesdays!

i would love to hear from ladies who are (or have been) newly married, still working full-time, and trying to balance marriage, work, homemaking, friendships, etc. in particular, what is a good balance for work vs. being at home. how to make my husband and home the priority without it negatively affecting my diligence at work.

thanks!

veryholyone1 said...

I am a fan of the Girl Talk blog, so I am looking forward to hearing from our wonderful pastors and wives relating to issues close to home. I have noticed that the pastors wives I know are very comfortable with and skilled at engaging in biblical fellowship in a way that few women outside their circle do. I would love to hear from them about how they have cultivated the relationships they enjoy, what the benefits of these relationships have been, and what advice they'd give the rest of us so we can continue to grow in this area.

Cherylee Deitrich said...

Thanks for the post. I would love to read some thoughts for those of us with young children. I was really challenged by Mark’s message at the recent Women’s meeting in September where he stated that women’s ministry begins in the home and that the home is a primary place to use creative energies and to create an environment. In this season of my life at home with responsibilities for children ages 6, 4, and almost 2; home schooling; and being a CGL's wife I’m not sure what women’s ministry in the home practically means for me. Having other women over during the weekday (even if they are able to arrange their home/school schedules) does not always lend itself to having much of a conversation when trying to occupy the children and keep some order in the home. It’s possible at times, but it seems like there might be some better ways to cultivate this in my home. Mark suggested taking advantage of certain times when we are already together with ladies (ie. having lunch together after Compass), but with young children we are just not entering into much conversation without multiple pauses to help one or some of the young ones. Any suggestions on how I/we can cultivate women’s ministry in the home during a season with young children?

Bill & Ramona said...

I am looking forward to Tuesdays! My life 'screams' at me for attention from my first waking breath until I barricade myself in my room each night - the needs of my children and family, overflowing piles of papers and undone laundry, things that will help my husband in his work and ministry. I have learned how much I need to meet the Lord each day before I meet my family! And I have benefited during this time from the many resources you have recommended for practical help in appropriating the Lord's grace in the various areas of my life. I would love for you to recommend resources like books and messages that are available on whatever topic you address!

Debbie said...

Thanks so much for the blog! It's been a lot of fun.

I had a couple ideas...
1) A series on ideas to help moms disciple daughters. The series could include recommended books, questions to use when meeting together, testimonies from moms and daughters who are in a discipling relationship, recommended resources...

2) In a culture where most women are working, it'd be great to encourage moms who stay at home with their children. There aren't many tangible rewards during this season, so any encouragement to see their job from an eternal perspective would be helpful!

Also as our kids get older, it's tempting to want to go back to work. Is there a way to give us a vision for staying at home longer? i.e. discipling younger women, serving at church, neighborhood evangelism...

3) Other ideas... contentment (materially, physically, season of life, marriage...); using time wisely regardless of the season of life; discipling women (book ideas, accountability ideas, practicals); creative ideas to romance our husbands; feature women who serve behind the scenes which would include moms who are busy caring for their children and therefore don't have an official church ministry; question and answer sessions (like a panel) with several women...

Thanks the way you serve us!