Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Forever tied to my Savior…

Recently I tried to teach my two youngest children to play “Cat’s Cradle”, a game played by two people using a loop of string with their hands to complete a series of weaving moves to make a cradle-like design. The first child caught on instantly and we enjoyed several rounds of weaving the intricate moves together. What a sense of accomplishment to see the finished design! Not so for the other, who despite repeated attempts and instruction just couldn’t get it. We’re talking knots, hanging loops, and tangles. And because two people are required to hold the strings and make the moves, my “hands were tied” (literally!) from completing the beautiful design.

Later that day as I looked back and laughed at the humorous results of trying to play the game with a seven year old, I heard the Lord whisper ever so gently, ‘aren’t you glad that I hold the strings of your life?’ What a striking thought as I remembered my frustrated efforts in the mess of fingers and string. And what a gracious God to so readily remind that His hands are never tied! My game may have been frustrated by my child’s inability to learn the moves, but in ‘real life’ nothing can rob me of my well being. The Lord forever holds me in his hands and nothing can steal my joy. The Lord has not given the strings of my life to another…they are forever tied to Him.

In John 16:22, Jesus, while looking ahead to the cross, declared to his disciples, “So also you have sorrow now, but I will see you again and your hearts will rejoice, and no one will take your joy from you.” “No one will take your joy from you” …my joy and well being come not from my circumstances or my own accomplishments, and they are not ruined by trial or the sin of another. They come from my Savior who redeemed me with his very own blood on the cross, and they are forever mine.

How often do we let a difficult day, or a disobedient child, or an unmet desire rob us of our joy? Why not “tie a string” around your finger to remember that it is our Savior who holds the strings of our lives, and let’s purpose to let nothing rob us of the joy that is irrevocably ours in our salvation.

No comments: