Friday, January 25, 2008

A Gospel Moment Between a Dad and His Little Girl

One recent morning my seven-year-old daughter Anna came stumbling into the living room as I was finishing my devotions. Calling her toward me, I scooped her up onto my lap for a morning hug. “I won’t be able to do this much longer,” I thought, realizing she barely fit snuggled up with me. I whispered in her ear how blessed I felt as a dad for God to have given me such a wonderful daughter. With her head on my chest, I could feel a broad smile emerge on her face. The love of a father is a powerful means of grace in the life of a child.

Then, while her attention was focused on me, and all the world around lost to her, I shared the Gospel. “Love, did you know Jesus died on the cross for your sins, so you could be forgiven and become a part of God’s family. He wants to give you life, and help you live for his glory. You need to believe in Jesus, that he died for you, and rose again from the dead and trust Him with your whole life. That’s what your mommy did when she was a little girl.”

I didn’t ask for a response. I knew she was listening. For a moment longer I held her tightly on my lap, then gave her a hug and sent her on her way. Topped off with a fresh fill-up of fatherly affection she ran for the kitchen and breakfast. No profound spiritual awakening was evident in our short interaction. But that wasn’t my goal. I was simply trying to be faithful and respond to an opportunity God had given me to lay another foundation stone in her life.

Over the course of our children’s lives we build in them a sure foundation, one block at a time. Never underestimate the importance of repeating the Gospel and never forget that the Gospel is the power of God for our salvation. Be confident that our gracious God is able to save, something we as parents sometimes would like to do ourselves. I could have coaxed an affirmation to my gospel presentation from Anna, and maybe someday a moment like this will call for a response from her. But these aren’t my moments, they belong to God, and I want to be faithful to Him with them. One day – a day of His choosing - He will grace her with godly sorrow, lead her to repentance, and move her out of slavery to sin, into the family of God. Until that day comes, I am content to speak, to wait and to watch Him work.

No comments: