Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Listen

It’s Tuesday again, and good to be together, even if only for a moment of common contemplation. Too bad there’s no cyber-coffee.

Well, John Piper’s been at it again. He’s got a lot of nerve, yanking me out of my world of superfluous trivialities! He’s made quite a habit of it over the years. And I must say I’m grateful, even though I put up a good fight. Can I pull you in with me for a moment?

Shhhh. Just listen.

We were made to know and treasure the glory of God above all things; and when we trade that treasure for images, everything is disordered…

Yes, John, it is. I bear witness. The images of perfection, of getting things done, of having perfect kids, of beauty, of self-focus, all leave me empty, dissatisfied, hungry for something more.

The sun of God’s glory was made to shine at the center of the solar system of our soul. And when it does, all the planets of our life are held in their proper orbit. But when the sun is displaced, everything flies apart.

Are the planets of my life revolving around God’s glory? I think much of the time I’m trying to lasso all those planets so they can revolve around me! And the result is most often frustration. Is that your grace, Lord, redirecting me?

The healing of the soul begins by restoring the glory of God to its flaming, all-attracting place at the center. We are all starved for the glory of God, not self.

Aaah! The cold but invigorating truth! Why do I feel disordered, dissatisfied, always hungry for something to fill me up? Why do even good things like conversation and relaxation and shopping and decorating not ultimately fulfill? Because I’m looking to shadowy substitutes instead of the radiant glory of God.

Lord, fill our eyes with the radiance of your glory! Help us see it and treasure it while grocery shopping and teaching our kids and folding laundry and running errands. May we stay so close to that sun that the heat of it brings us joy. Even on this routine Tuesday, help us to revolve around you instead of ourselves, and experience the delight of being satisfied… full… overflowing with your glory.

No comments: