Monday, January 7, 2008

The melting power of the Cross

Charles Spurgeon is known as the ‘Prince of Preachers’ because of his remarkable ability to bring the glories of Christ to the heart through his mastery of language. Just allow this to stir your worship and faith this week.

“Oh, the power, the melting, conquering, transforming power of the dear Cross of Christ. My brothers, we have but to constantly tell ourselves the matchless story, and we may expect to see the most remarkable results. We need not despair of our hearts now that Christ has died for this sinner.

With such a hammer as the doctrine of the Cross, this most flinty heart will be broken and such a fire as the sweet love of Christ will melt this most mighty iceberg. I need never to despair of my inability or my bad habits if I can but find occasion to bring the doctrine of Christ crucified into contact with my nature. It will yet change me and Christ will be my King.”

C.H. Spurgeon, quoted in Gospel Transformation, (Jenkintown, PA.: World Harvest Mission, 2002), 129.

This quote comes from the excellent blog, Of First Importance

No comments: