Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Expelled – On a Date?

On a recent Monday Lois and I were scheduled to go on a date. We had not been to a movie in a while and I was aware that “Expelled - No Intelligence Allowed” was playing at local theaters. Given that it was a documentary I thought it would be a good idea to ask Lois if she was interested. Given the fact that it was about the less than romantic topic of how the academic community rejects even the mention of Intelligent Design by scientists, faculty, and the press, I REALLY thought it wise to ask Lois if she would be interested in this as a date idea. Before I could even give the movie title she suggested we go out to see a movie called…. “Expelled”. Needless to say, I was surprised. Of course, I complemented her on her suggestion.

She had read Carolyn McCulley’s blog Radical Womanhood and wanted to support the movie. The movie presented a chilling look inside the workings of the scientific establishment and their not so subtle bias for evolution against creationism and intelligent design.

The resulting conversation was some of the most intellectually stimulating conversation we’ve had over the past season. It is so easy on our dates to get caught up in ‘here and now’ conversations about kids, church, schedules, house projects. This movie made us think and talk with each other about BIG ideas and important things – something that can seem to get lost in the parenting years.

While it is still in the theaters I thought I would pass on our not so typical date night. Maybe a good conversations over BIG ideas and important things is just what your marriage needs.

I’d also suggest you consider taking your teenage children as well – after the date. If I don’t take my teens to see it, I will rent it when it comes out on DVD and show it to them and discuss it as a family. We can all use some BIG idea and important things conversation.

No comments: