Tuesday, May 6, 2008

GOLIATH….and me

And the Philistines stood on the mountain on the one side, and Israel stood on the mountain on the other side, with a valley between them. And there came out from the camp of the Philistines a champion named Goliath of Gath, whose height was six cubits and a span… (1 Samuel 17:3-4).

Through the years the word “evangelism” has evoked a picture in my mind which looks a lot like the passage above: me, standing poorly armed before the opposing army who has just set their biggest champion against me. But unlike David, who expressed confidence his God, I have tended to respond more like the army of Israel when they eyed the size of their foe and “were dismayed and greatly afraid.”

As our community group has participated in the Proclaim Course, I have been affected by the teaching, even provoked. OK, I’ll admit it…I have been convicted. Though I occasionally share the Gospel, I seldom allow the Lord to take me out of my comfort zone. “I’ll let my life shine for the Lord and be ready to give an account of the hope I have in Christ,” I can argue. So I do yard work, go to the grocery store, go to my son’s soccer practice, to the pediatrician, and even to the dentist with a smile on my face looking for ways to let my life reflect the hope of the Gospel. These are all good things, but what if folks don’t ask for an account of my hope? I am realizing how much fear and unbelief have kept me from taking advantage of whatever opportunity the Lord might provide. I see the unbeliever much like Goliath, and he looms large in my eyes, instead of seeing the God of the Gospel who stands greater than ANY possible opposing force.

Freshly aware of God’s call in evangelism, at a recent extended family gathering I prayed that the Lord would provide specific opportunities for the Gospel. I asked him for boldness and greater heart for the lost. I was amazed at how many opportunities the Lord provided. Folks were much more open to talking about spiritual things than I would have thought, and they were affected by my interest in their lives. No one was radically converted, but I have opportunity to continue to building these relationships for the sake of the Gospel.

God promises to give us power for the work He has commanded, and he is bigger than the Goliath of our fear! As we complete the Proclaim Course, let’s ask the Lord for opportunities and strength to be faithful messengers of the Gospel, and see what He will do.

And when they had prayed, the place in which they were gathered together was shaken, and they were all filled with the Holy Spirit and continued to speak the word of God with boldness. (Acts 4:31)

No comments: