Tuesday, October 7, 2008

An Encouraging Idea

Our driveway is very steep and so are the surrounding sidewalks in our neighborhood, so we always have to travel somewhere to let the kids enjoy bike riding. Madison just learned to ride without training wheels. Adrienne and Matthew each have cute little bikes all their own. The other day we had the kids riding in the parking lot of our local elementary school. My son rode by me looking up as if to say “Look at me!” so I said, “Look at you Matthew! You are such a big boy riding so well on your bike!” He grinned this big grin and rode away faster with his head and shoulders tall.

Isn’t this what the grace of encouragement does to all of us? It gives us that little spark of strength and determination to pedal away strong and fast. I wish I could say I am always encouraging my children. But at times it seems easier to give them lists of things they are doing wrong on top of lists of things they need to do better. “Don’t be so loud”, “Stop running”, “Be patient,” and my all-time favorite, “SIT STILL!!!”

I am so glad that God has gently convicted me when I fall into these habits. By his grace I am able to stop and think, “Boy I have really been negative towards the kids. I’m not sure I can remember the last encouragement I gave to them.” My eyes are opened and I see they aren’t pedaling quite as strong and fast as I know they can. What’s missing may have more to do with my words than their efforts.

Last year Bill came up with a great idea. Before the kids go to bed at night we take time to think of at least one area where they did well during the day and exhibited godly character. The kids LOVE this time of encouragement and I believe it honors God. Let’s make sure we are giving many words of encouragement for each word of correction and let gracious words be “like a honeycomb, sweetness to the soul and health to the body.” (Proverbs 16:24)

1 comment:

Sherrin said...

That is a lovely idea to encourage them before they go to bed! It is always nice to go to sleep with something sweet in your heart :). I'm sure it brings peace to them.