Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Where Are You Reading?

Where are you reading? Odd question you might say, and so it is! I asked myself this question after a fellowship group meeting. We were talking about what we were reading and my friend, Gina, explained that she keeps a book in different places in her home –places where she might actually stay in one place for a short while. Gina has four small children, so this strategy has helped her get some reading done despite the busy demands of motherhood. Although I don’t have the same demands as Gina, I too find it difficult to sit down and read. Our pastors have always exhorted us to read, saying that people who read, grow! For this reason, I’ve always desired to read more.

So, gleaning from Gina, I began to place a few books around my house—one on my desk in the kitchen, one in each powder room, one on my nightstand next to my bed, and two near my big easy chair where I do my morning devotions. It’s been great! I may only get 5 to 10 minutes at a time when I eat lunch or before I go to bed, but I’m actually getting through these books. Sometimes I can get a longer time in if I can’t sleep at night, or if I can choose to not watch that TV show that’s so tempting. Those times help catapult me further. At present, most of my books are related to biblical doctrine (I always try to keep one going about the Gospel), but not always. My husband’s favorite genre is historical non-fiction, specifically World War II era books. So I’ve tried a few, and that’s given us a new topic for communication—one I’ve really enjoyed.


I know 5 books at one time may seem overwhelming, but I haven’t found that to be the case. They often complement each other. I recently looked back over the last 6 months and was so encouraged by the list of books I had read. More importantly, I’ve been blessed by the sound doctrine that I’ve received from these books.

In closing, I’ll make a plug for one book that I’m currently reading that is really helping me as a mom - "Charity and It's Fruits" by Jonathan Edwards. I tried to read it years ago, but the old English seemed too difficult for me. Now, however, I’m getting through it slowly but surely. It’s a wonderful book to consider reading if you found encouragement from Christina Roth’s recent blog entitled Ten Ways to Enjoy Your Little Ones". The practical ideas she gave are simply examples of real fruit that comes from God’s divine love that He pours into us by His Spirit. His love is foundational to all we do –especially as mothers showing love to our children. I’ve felt spurred on in a new way! It’s encouraging to know that God is the One who enables us to do any good work for His glory – even read! I hope this tip is helpful to you!

No comments: