Friday, October 17, 2008

Hope for the Weary

Can I be frank here? There is nothing, and I mean nothing, in my life more humbling than parenthood. Maybe you agree. We are called to a wonderful task of raising godly children and passing the gospel to the next generation, but we can accomplish absolutely none of it in our own power. Being called to a great task and possessing no ability to accomplish it should humble even the most proud of us all.

Personally, when I lose sight of God in some of my lesser fatherly moments, I quickly fall into fear for my children. Will they turn out okay? Am I ruining them? Will they despise me when they’re older? By God’s grace, these moments are not daily, but they occur. And every time they do, it’s because I’ve lost sight of God.

It is God who calls us. It is God who equips and empowers us. It is God who will save our children, not us. It is God…it is God. He compassionately calls out to every parent, “Come to me, all who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn from me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light." (Matthew 11:28-30)

And yet, comfort in the Savior’s invitation shouldn’t be the end of our vision. At least for me, I find that when I’m discouraged at the lack of fruit in my children (or more accurately, in my parenting) I have to go back to Christ day after day to trade in my heavy yoke for His light one. Is there a greater truth, a deeper comfort, available for the weary and heavy laden parent? Yes. Consider Psalm 89:11-13:

The heavens are yours; the earth also is yours; the world and all that is in it, you have founded them. The north and the south, you have created them; Tabor and Hermon joyously praise your name. You have a mighty arm; strong is your hand, high your right hand.

God owns and possesses all things. He founded them and created them. It is His arm that is mighty and His hand that is strong. The Psalms are a wonderful place for us to read of the character of God and apply it to our lives…where we’re living right now. So, if you’ll allow me just a little latitude for application, let’s look at this verse applied to parenting?

Our sons are yours; our daughters also are yours; our homes and all that is in them, you have founded them…You have a mighty arm; strong is your hand, high your right hand.

When my children’s success depends upon my parenting, then my parenting has lost sight of God’s sovereign control. When I am discouraged and tired, I’ve lost sight of God’s might and God’s strength.

So, let me ask you a few questions that I also ask myself:

- Where is God’s strength and might when I consider my weariness in parenting?
- If God loves and possesses my children, why is it that I worry and am fearful?
- What heavy yoke must I lay down to take up the light yoke of God’s sovereignty?

So, what is the hope for the weary? It is God. It is God. It is God. His power. His might. His compassion. His long-suffering. His love. He owns the cattle on a thousand hills…that includes your home…and your children.

No comments: