Tuesday, January 20, 2009

An Enlightened Spelling Lesson for this Teacher

I was in the middle of a spelling lesson with Rosie when she came over to crawl up into my lap and snuggle. I would like to say that I pulled her up into my lap and showered her with loves, but instead I gave her a little lecture and said, “Now, if you were in school, would you be able to just climb into the teacher’s lap in between each spelling word?” She dutifully climbed down with a somber face and got ready for her next word, pencil poised.

My conscience took over quickly and by God’s grace, I recovered and said, “But we’re here and you can crawl into this teacher’s lap because I’m your mom!” Her face lit up and as she came near again, I scooped her into my arms and squeezed her tight, whispering little nothings in her ear – a little recess we both needed.

I didn’t think much more of the whole incident until the next day during my devotions. I read Galatians 4: 6, “And because you are sons, God has sent the Spirit of His Son into our hearts, crying, “Abba, Father!” As I scribbled in my journal some thoughts, I was overwhelmed with the Father’s love for me. It is true that with the Father –child relationship comes authority and truth (sometimes hard truths) and the call to obedience and even discipline. But oh the blessings which attend such a relationship--- the closeness, affection, and encouragement. And finally the commitment and love. He will never walk away but is steadfast towards me as He demonstrated once and for all on the Cross.

I am truly blessed. Despite the trouble which abounds in this sinful world and my own sinful heart, “my Abba, Father,” is Ruler over all of it. What could be a greater reality? It’s not just that He exists or even that He is some relative. He is my Father, personal and dear. That is truly good news and encouragement for this teacher who can never stop being a mom.

2 comments:

Christina said...

I was sooo blessed by the post Andrea. As a fellow homeschool mom I have had those same experiences! Thank you for the wonderful way you reminded me to show love to my children as my Heavenly Father shows me.

Unknown said...

Helen and Marcia said,

What a beautiful post. You said the thoughts that are in our hearts. Keep up the inspirational work! We love to read it. And a special hug for Rosie.