Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Hot Chocolate Explosions

Whoever created flat, un-washable ceiling paint obviously doesn’t like our family.

While I was getting ready for church one Sunday, I heard an explosion-like sound from the kitchen. My six-year-old daughter came bounding up to my bedroom out of breath to give me the full report.

"Mom! Someone was making hot chocolate (big gasp for air) and it spilled."

(Hmmm. Since when do spills sound like an explosion?)

"They cleaned it up… but it got on the ceiling (waiting for my reaction). They're trying to wash it off."

(Wash it off? Hot chocolate? On the ceiling??)

On my kitchen ceiling are handprints, spaghetti sauce splotches, water marks, and other miscellaneous splatters, so I shouldn't have been shocked to learn of the hot chocolate stains. However, the question that I still had to face at that moment was how was I going to respond when I walked downstairs?

So often my flesh takes over and I end up responding to these kinds of (daily) circumstances in a rash, unkind way (i.e. yelling and lecturing.) But in this particular moment the Lord reminded me of a lesson that I learned several years ago as our family walked through a trial. In my journal I wrote:

"I have an opportunity to be a sweet fragrance to my children through the circumstances of my life. What a privilege to disciple my children in trusting God as I react to unpleasant circumstances in a way that glorifies and trusts Him. I can't see this role as insignificant. This Christ-like responding is my calling right now. I can't be looking for a bigger calling or a more glamorous calling… this is my calling - to respond like Christ in my home. What volumes I will be teaching my kids!"

"Through this trial, I feel like the Lord has given me a new picture of my purpose in life as a mother. It's not to "do, do, do" (things that are outwardly rewarding and seemingly spiritual), but simply to "be" a reflection of Christ as I depend on Him."

When I walked into the kitchen that Sunday morning, not only was there hot chocolate on the ceiling, my feet stuck to the floor and there were traces of hot chocolate in the drawers, the countertops and on the cupboard doors. I was thankful that the Holy Spirit reminded me about my calling to represent Christ to my children as I responded to this crisis moment and to ask Him for help.

With 7 kids in my home, I face situations like this multiple times each day. Though I feel like I fail to respond in a godly manner more times than I succeed, I'm grateful that the Holy Spirit is at work making me aware of His high calling for me as a mother.

May the Lord give us strength to respond in a way that gives Him glory and that teaches our children that we can joyfully trust Him in all circumstances – even in the midst of hot chocolate explosions.

"Give thanks in all circumstances; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you.” 1 Thessalonians 5:19

No comments: