Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Living in Contentment Land

“How can they afford to finish their basement or add an addition to their house?” “Why is that family always able to take elaborate vacations while ours consists of sleeping on the floor of a tent?” “My ‘poor’ kids have to buy their own underwear and pay for their own college.” If I don’t guard my heart, I can easily find myself living in discontentment land rather than being satisfied within the boundaries of the pleasant place God has for me.

Contentment is something that I’ve struggled with on and off my entire life. Even in times of prosperity, I can be tempted to compare what I have with others or think that I need something that I don’t. And, it can be especially hard to be content when money is tight when surrounded by others who seem to have unlimited resources. But by the grace of God, I can thank Him for those struggles because He has used them to reveal to me that only God can satisfy my deepest longings and that my true, lasting joy is in Him.

When I’m tempted to be discontent, I try to take control of my thoughts in the following 3 ways:

1. By Being Thankful: Discontentment cannot exist with thankfulness. As soon as my mind begins to think about what others have that I don’t or what I wish that I could purchase, I have to begin recounting God’s goodness to me. As I start mentally listing all that I have to be thankful for, it doesn’t take long until my heart is filled with thankfulness rather than discontentment. Colossians 2:6 - 7

2. By Resting in God’s Sovereignty: The second thing that I’ve learned to do is to rest in God’s perfect provision for our family. I believe that God perfectly portions our income for what he wants to accomplish in our family. There is no way that I can estimate what God is doing in the hearts of my children through the financial “hardships” that they may feel. I don’t need to feel bad for them; I can instead trust God that He’s at work. Proverbs 3:5

3. By Focusing on Eternity: Earth is not my home. Everything that I have or will have will be rubbish. I want to live my life in such a way as to lay up treasures in heaven not on earth. When I can fix my eyes on glory, the things of this earth pale in comparison. Matthew 6:19 - 21

I have a long way to go in conquering the sin of discontentment. There will always be someone who has more or better things to “make” me discontent. I will never have enough stuff, because stuff will never satisfy. I have found, however, by redirecting my gaze, my heart can overflow with joy in all circumstances.

“Keep your life free from love of money, and be content with what you have, for he has said, ‘I will never leave you nor forsake you.’” Hebrews 13:5

1 comment:

Amy Schatz said...

Deb thanks so much for posting this. After the message that Joshua gave on Sunday I was convicted anew of the many areas that I find I am discontent and tend towards envy and jealousy of what others have that I don't have. After confessing those things to my husband I stopped thinking of ways to "fight" the discontentment and let it go. The 3 ways you have listed to fight that are great. When I reflect on what God has given me and my family it reminds me how blessed we truly are.