Monday, January 12, 2009

Word Pictures Worth Pondering

I’m working my way through Sinclair Ferguson’s "In Christ Alone" in my devotions and have really been hit by some of the things I’ve read. This past week I read a section on the power of the tongue where he used some very vivid word pictures to describe how our words matter. Here’s what caught my attention,

“Our use of the tongue is a sure evidence of the condition of our heart. It is the hinge on which the doors into our souls swing open in order to reveal our spirits. In effect, as our words leave our mouths they are like so many media people rushing to file their reports on the condition of our souls… The tongue that has tasted the Lord's goodness speaks appropriately as well as sits silently. It praises as well as rebukes, comforts as well as challenges. Such a tongue reveals a heart that is a veritable department store of graces.” (p175, 177)

Let’s consider three word pictures he uses.

Our tongue as the hinge on the doors into our souls.

The purpose of a door is controlled access. It keeps in things that should stay in, and keeps out things that should stay out. I’ve got some closet doors in my basement with loose hinges. They never quite close right, and because they are closet doors, all the junk behind them tends to spill out when I least expect it. How many times have I known I should have shut my mouth, and then said that one more thing…. Hinges are tricky things.


Our tongue as media people filing reports on our souls

It’s crazy being an Eagles fan. One play works and they’re going to the Super bowl. They can’t make a first down on third and one and they’re bums. Regardless of what happens, talk radio is there, filing reports on everything imaginable. What is the story that get’s filed about our soul? It determined by moment to moment success or failure, or does it tell a consistent story?


Our tongue as the display window of our heart

I used to work in the display department of a department store. There was an awful lot going on behind the scenes to create an attractive display window. The purpose of a display window isn’t to sell the clothes in the window. It’s to attract you to consider what’s beyond the window in the store. That’s the way our tongues should work. When we speak people should be attracted to the work of God in our hearts behind the window of our speech.

What word picture would describe your tongue?

No comments: