Thursday, June 19, 2008

Live Long and Prosper

A First time post from one of our regular guy bloggers; Bob Feldman. I know we just handed out cheese steaks to all the dads last Sunday, so this may seem ill timed. Don’t feel guilty if you’re reading this after inhaling a freebie cheese steak. Just consider it a reality check. And put that donut back. – The editors

Alright. I admit it. I am concerned that once you see the topic below you may check out. You may dismiss it with the thought, “Oh, give me a break, Bob. Relax. Go grab a burger and fries.” Well, let me jump right into the post, abandon my concern and trust that if the Holy Spirit is speaking to you, that you will find some benefit from this.

Subject: You. Topic: Your health. Don’t wander off, stay with me.

One of the items high on my list of daily activities is: “Avoid dropping dead!” This item has been a high priority for me ever since I was diagnosed with coronary artery disease three years ago. One of the ways I “avoid dropping dead” is to maintain my health as best as I reasonably can. I realize that most men want to be as healthy as possible however, living a healthy lifestyle is easier said than done. In many cases it’s not until we face a health crisis that we start to focus on our well being instead of stuffed crust pizza.

Take it from me; don’t wait until health problems confront you in an emergency room before you do something about your health. I have experienced shortness of breath, chest pain, and four cardiac catheterizations – and I’m not yet 50! But that is only half the story. The other half is the burden I carry when look into the eyes of my wife. At times I sinfully fear that she may be a widow one day. As I share these concerns I am not looking for pity but I am praying that you would benefit from my experience which says to take care of yourself now instead of later.

With this experience in mind, may I ask you a question? Are you giving attention to your health? If not, don’t wait until your arteries are blocked before you start to do something about it! Don’t wait until you are on an operating table with a catheter threaded through your body and a cardiologist leaning over you saying, “Mr. (fill in your last name here). It appears you have a 90% blockage in an artery.” Don’t get to that point!

What to do?

Tip 1. Seek advice and counsel from your health/medical support network. Come up with a realistic plan to improve your health based on your current situation.

Tip 2. With your plan in hand, get started! Ask your spouse or close friend to hold you accountable to your plan. Prayerfully adjust your plan as necessary.

Tip 3. Lastly, enjoy the benefits of living a healthier lifestyle knowing that you will feel better and hopefully live longer.

Tip 4. (For wives). I know there are wives reading this post. Don’t panic. Don’t just start throwing green stuff in front of your husband and refusing to wash his clothes until he eats it. Most guys (like ladies) want to take care of their health, and respond much better to encouragement and support than to guilt or fear motivation. Talk about this, express your concerns if necessary, but coming along side your husband will be far more helpful than standing toe to toe.

There, that wasn’t so bad, was it?



No comments: