Wednesday, June 18, 2008

A Romance Story

This is another in our occasional series of the stories of how our Community Group Leaders met and the path they took to their wedding. Today we feature Scott and Carol Hegman

Scott had a housewarming party after church one Sunday afternoon in February 1991. He had recently bought his first home, a small twin in Ridley Park. My friends Chris and Barbara Payson invited me to go with them. I had been recently widowed, about two weeks, and was very hesitant to accept the invitation. With some coaxing and twisting my arm, I reluctantly said I would go but not without bringing a gift.

I stopped at a local ice cream/ gift shop in the neighborhood to take a look around and attempt to find something appropriate. I spotted a gumball machine wrapped in red cellophane with a big red bow. My children were nine and seven at the time and I thought this would be a nice fun “generic” gift to give from us. I purchased the gumball machine and off we went to the party.

Many people from the church we were attending gathered that day for this joyous occasion. When it came time for opening gifts, Scott came to ours and announced, “This is from the Baronofskys.” He opened our present, this cute light-hearted “generic” gumball machine. He then proceeded to press his finger down to release the gum.

Much to my dismay, complete shock, and the most embarrassing, “I just want to be so invisible I could die!” moment of my life, out came little candy hearts that said, “HUG ME” “KISS ME” “I’M YOURS.” The “generic” present was filled with Valentine candy hearts!!! The red cellophane, month of February, Valentine theme never entered my mind at the time of purchase. Needless to say, this most embarrassing day of my life would be etched in my mind forever.

Scott did ask me out on a date in September of that same year. We had a really nice time, and much to my surprise he continued to pursue a relationship. What started out as a friendship blossomed into love. We had a lot of “family dates,” giving my children opportunities for all of us to spend time together, getting to know Scott and his family.

In February 1992, after Sunday night service at Woodlyn Baptist Church, Scott pulled around the back of the church parking lot. He put in a tape and sang “I Will Be Here” by Steven Curtis Chapman. Then he took out a ring box, opened it and proposed. Through tears of joy and disbelief, I said yes to this wonderful man. We were married June 27, 1992 with my two dear girls, Sarah and Lizzy, giving me away at the altar.

Who would have ever thought that an innocent, silly, “mistaken” gift would have so much meaning in our lives? But that is the Wondrous, Personal, Sovereign, God we love and serve. We marvel at all the Lord has done since then. We recently came across the gumball machine when we were going through some boxes we had stored in the basement. Once again we smiled and laughed as we remembered that day seventeen years ago. He is our Faithful God, exchanging beauty for ashes, working all things together for our good, doing exceedingly and abundantly above all we ask or think.

No comments: