Tuesday, June 17, 2008

A Work Day

Recently a dear friend of mine and I did our first ever semiannual “work day”. Let me explain what I mean by this, though it’s fairly obvious from the title (creative titles are not my forte, maybe we’ll come up with something better by the time we do our next one!).

The idea is that twice a year we will get together for an entire day to do work…once at my house and once at her house. Whoever is hosting it picks a project that they want to get done around their house. So for example it could be things like painting a room, organizing the garage, making and freezing some extra meals, yard work, cleaning out a closet, etc. Basically it could be any project that you have around the house that you just never seem to find the time to get done. When my friend came we moved all the kids’ toys into the basement and organized them and then moved all 3 of the kids into the same bedroom (which involved some creative rearranging). We worked from the morning until close to dinner time with a lunch break and some coffee breaks. Another key factor was getting a sitter all day for the kids (or having your husbands watch them)…this makes the time you have as productive as possible.

So, why am I sharing this? Well, I think it can be a great way to both get something done around your home and enjoy some fellowship with a good friend and it can even become a fun little tradition (that’s what I’m hoping for). In thinking about my friends and who I could do this with, I tried to be strategic. So I picked a good friend that I don’t get to see nearly enough because she lives in Lancaster. This way we get at least 2 full days together every year. She is also someone that I can easily enjoy fellowship with and she’s an excellent homemaker so she brings some serious help when she comes!

Maybe starting your own “work day” (or some kind of adapted version) with a friend will prove to be a fun way for you to get some projects done around the house while also enjoying some time with a dear friend.

No comments: