Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Could You Be a Wedding Coordinator?

It’s wedding season! It seems like there is almost a wedding a week in our church family in the coming months. At CFC we see weddings as family time, not just the joining of two families in marriage, but a time where the family of the church rallies around a couple to both celebrate and pull off their wedding. Who gets to be at the center of all this celebration? Our wedding coordinators! This team is an often unseen but very important ministry in the church – touching lives and bringing peace and order to the craziness of the wedding planning process.

We would love to ad a few folks to our wedding coordinator team over the next few months. To give you an idea of what the experience is like I asked Nancy Young – the outstanding leader of our wedding coordinating team – to share her perspective on the ministry.

Why I love to serve as a wedding coordinator

Nancy Young

Serving as a wedding coordinator is such a privilege. Marriage is a beautiful picture of Christ’s sacrificial love for the church. What an honor to play a small part in what God is doing through uniting a couple in marriage. I love to help with the planning and take care of the details thereby enabling the bride to focus on God’s faithfulness and provision. I see a large part of my job as creating an atmosphere that helps the bride to fully enjoy her wedding day.

Serving as a wedding coordinator gives me an opportunity to live out Titus II. Many of the brides that I meet with do not have Christian parents to guide them during this special time. What a privilege to encourage and envision them for this next season of life while helping them honor the Lord in preparing not just a ceremony, but a testimony of God’s loving care.

Weddings also bring unbelievers into the church. I’ve been amazed at the reports of how the couples’ family members were affected through the wedding. The kindness of God is experienced through the care of the church family. People are affected as they observe church members gladly serving and rejoicing with the couple. I get to see this first hand!

Through wedding coordinating God uses the gift He’s given me to serve our local church. Wedding coordinating allows us to be ‘go to’ persons for the pastors and administrative staff. Each wedding has its own unique features and challenges, but to see it all come together on the wedding day is a very satisfying experience.

I love wedding coordinating because it is doable. In the midst of a myriad of responsibilities as a wife and mom life can seem too full to make additional commitments to ministry teams. Wedding Coordinating is doable because there is a short season of preparation. I meet with the couple a few times. We e-mail details and logistics. I communicate with the church office. The weekend of the wedding is blocked out for our family to serve. Several times a year I get to jump into the joy of a new marriage – and I’m still free to do other things that God calls us as to do as a family.

If you are interested in finding out more about the wedding coordinator team, email Charity Campbell at ccampbell@covfel.org

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Nsncy Young's comments about helping brides with unbelieving parents touched me because although I was was not a bride, Nancy and her husband Doug both helped me through various trials during our time together in the community group. Nancy is very caring and serves with compassion and grace. -LT