Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Ten Ways to Enjoy Your Little Ones

I have learned many things in the six years I have been a mom (and have so much more to learn!). I have learned about the power of prayer over my kids. I have seen fruit from consistent discipline and from teaching them gospel truths. I have also learned how important it is to develop strong relationships with my children…especially when they are little. Here is a list of ten ways I have found that help me build relational closeness with my young children. Though some of these ideas may seem silly or meaningless, they all have added joy to my life and to the lives of my kids. I have also seen my children respond better to correction because our relationship is sweeter. Surprisingly, these fun moments have led into some of the most memorable gospel teaching experiences that I’ve had with them.

  1. Tickle your kids at least once a day. The sound of your little one laughing will indeed warm your heart.

  1. Answer the question “Mommy will you play with me?” with “Yes!” Then put down that load of laundry, get down on the floor and play dolls or superheroes, or whatever they love to do. Even a short time of undivided investment into their play can make a difference.

  1. Instead of TV after dinner, how about a good game of “Monster!” (You being the monster, of course)

  1. Let them do your hair in a fantastic new style. My girls LOVE this and it always provides many laughs.

  1. Rent a silly but wholesome movie, cuddle on the couch with popcorn in hand, and ALWAYS dance to the music during the credits.

  1. Create a treasure hunt and watch your little ones run all over your house to find the treasure (preferably candy). This is a great way to encourage and practice reading. Give them clues they can read on their own.

  1. Make up a silly song about them using fun rhyming words.

  1. Kiss their cheeks right after they wake up from a nap. There’s nothing like it for both of you.

  1. Tell them stories about when you were little. My kids love the one about my mom putting Tabasco sauce on my thumb one night so I would stop sucking it…Yikes!

  1. Cuddle together in your jammies and read some good books everyone will enjoy. Some of my favorites: Go Dog Go! , Mrs. Piggle Wiggle, Mr. Popper’s Penguins, and all the traditional fairy tales.

When we think about introducing the Gospel to our children we often think about some serious devotional exercise. I’ve found that Gospel opportunities can come through intentional enjoyment of my kids as much as through intentional evangelism of them.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I don't know if guys are supposed to steer clear of the blogs on Tuesdays or not but I read today's post. My wife read it first, however, if that counts in my favor. Christina, awesome! This is a timly reminder for Vicky and I and I really appreciated your view on effective gospel moments in the ordinary rhythms of enjoying life. Thanks.