Friday, July 18, 2008

Summer Motivation for Kids

Looking for a way to keep your kids motivated this summer? For a way to help them to use their time wisely? For the past 8 years or so, I’ve used some sort of summer motivation chart (see below) to keep my kids from vegetating on videos and to instead help them read, work, and exercise.

Here’s how it worked this summer: I came up with a list of 10 or so things that I wanted them to invest their time in – such as reading, doing a math lesson, memorizing scripture, running around the block, doing a job… then I assigned a point value to each task. Next I came up with some rewards for a given value of points. They could either cash the points in right away or save them up for something of greater value.

For example, they could cash in 20 points today to play a 30 min. video game or save up their points for a few days to get a McDonald’s ice cream cone. The rewards have to be things that are of value to them, but not too difficult for you to fulfill. (The year that they could save up a gazillion points to go to the movie theater turned out to be a disaster because I had a new baby and never could find the time to take them.)

Now the catch to all this is that in order to get any points – all their daily jobs must first be completed and they must have had a quiet time. If they leave a job undone, none of the reward points count for that day.

Although I only use this system with my 3 grade-school kids, I know of other families that have developed motivational charts for older kids. They save up points to receive something that is of value to them.

It’s been fun watching my kids earn their points and then watching to see how they want to cash them in. And, it’s interesting to observe how that 30-min. PBS show suddenly isn’t inviting to them any more when they want to use their points for something they feel is of greater value. Though it takes a little bit of effort from me (checking their charts, inspecting their jobs, and giving rewards), it’s been worth it as I watch my kids using their time wisely this summer!

Click here for a sample motivation chart in an Excel spreadsheet. (Note: I keep their job chart list on the bottom of the chart for them to X off.)

3 comments:

Joyce and John said...

This is a great idea--I think that we all face the same problem of wanting our kids to make the most of all of the free time that they have, but needing a break from the "administration" that it takes to find things to keep them busy! I wanted to add that my 14-year-old has participated in a "summer challenge" from Brio magazine (put out by Focus on the Family) for the past couple of years. She has found it particularly motivating to participate with a group of friends. Here is the link to the description of this challenge: http://www.briomag.com/briomagazine/spiritualhealth/a0007706.html

The Thomsen's said...

Great post! Thank you for putting the sample chart, too.
In Christ,
Stacey
Jacksonville FL

Unknown said...

Very good chart! I am trying to make 1 up for my 3 kids ages 7, almost 6 and 4. I am having some trouble since 1 of my kids has Autism. Do you have any ideas for changing for younger kids? If anyone does please let me know. I am having rouble motivating and keeping everyone positive. One of my major goals is to have them speak kind words to each other on a regular basis. Also, I am trying to homeschool all 3 this summer, it's not going very well.