Friday, August 15, 2008

Care for the Orphan and the Widow is true Christianity

Editors Note: This entry by David Mayinja displays a wonderful mercy outreach for families to do together. It also reveals God’s heart for the fatherless…a worthy read at any time. For more information on Caring for Orphans, be sure to follow the link at the end of the blog.

I grew up in a middle class family of six children. My father was an engineer and had a good career in Uganda. My siblings and I were able to enroll in some of the best private schools, and were well taken care of. In my third year of high school, my father was gunned down on the streets of the capital city, Kampala. During that time, Uganda was experiencing political turmoil and instability due to the chaos and ethnic conflicts that plagued the country in the early 1980’s.

A few months before my father’s death, I had accepted Jesus as my Savior at a conference that I was invited to by a Christian young man who had befriended me when I joined high school. During my time of grief, the members of the Christian Fellowship rallied around me and provided encouragement and care that completely overwhelmed me. It helped me to remain focused on the Lord and to trust that He was in control of my life. With the help of some of the leaders, I learnt to pray and to wait upon the Lord. Little did I know what a means of God’s Grace prayer would become for my family and me in the days ahead.

The passing of my father left my mother, who had no career, with the daunting responsibility of caring for six children in a deteriorating economy. However, despite not having had the privilege of a high school education, my mother managed to turn her hobbies of sewing and baking into a small business that was able to keep us afloat. We moved out of our home in the suburbs into a small apartment to cut costs. Our extended family, in true African custom, also became a means of God’s provision and grace in our lives by contributing toward my mother’s start up capital for the business. An uncle took responsibility for me and provided a home and tuition for my high school education. He became my mentor and inspiration for a better future.

In spite of numerous difficulties and trials we faced as a family in the succeeding years, we experienced God’s faithfulness and providential care for us in countless ways. God has honored His word in my life, that He is indeed “A Father of the fatherless….” (Psalm 68:5) I was ultimately able to undertake graduate studies in International Economic Development in the United States. The program, along with my recent work experience in International Development, has prepared me well for the role I have recently taken on in Covenant Mercies’ initiatives in Africa.

It is indeed a privilege to be involved full time with Covenant Mercies; but what gives my family and me greater joy is the life change we have observed each passing year in Michael Owino, the child we sponsor through CM’s Orphan Sponsorship Program He has been given an opportunity to an education and a hope for a brighter future. However, in many ways we have been the greater beneficiaries as we have supported him.

As one who understands firsthand the challenges faced by fatherless children in Africa, I do encourage you to consider sponsoring a child in one of our programs in Uganda, Zambia, or Ethiopia. Your involvement will have an enduring effect in an orphan’s life and bring much glory to our Lord, Jesus Christ.

God is indeed a Father to the fatherless. Would you consider being a means of his grace to one of our children?

No comments: