Thursday, September 25, 2008

“Behold, how good and how pleasant it is…”

My wife and I just spent a week’s vacation with our three boys in the beautiful state of Maine. One of the highlights for me was the opportunity I had to catch up with my best friend Doug and his wife and children. Doug and I grew up across the street from one another and though I wouldn’t say we were always tight friends, each of us can recall, if nothing else, celebrating a birthday party or two together at Chucky Cheese. Our casual and somewhat sporadic friendship took a turn when Doug became a Christian in the summer of ‘97. He was traveling with the sub-culture group of hippies following the Grateful Dead and other spin-off bands when God arrested his heart, convicted him of his sin and showed him his need for the Savior. After deciding to follow Christ, Doug showed up on my doorstep with a King James Bible in hand looking to have some spiritual conversation. I was home from college for the summer and had turned into a bit of a hippie myself. I was game for some deep mystical interaction, so I opened my garage door, and sat to listen to Doug talk about the changes that were happening in his life. As Doug explained the gospel to me that night in the best terms he knew how, the Holy Spirit began penetrating my heart and mind. It was not long after that that I, too, repented of my sin and placed my full trust and faith in the atoning sacrifice of Jesus Christ.

It’s been about 11 years now since God caused both Doug and I to be born again. He also birthed us into a friendship that proves to be, again and again, one of the richest blessings I know in this life. Our time together in Maine was a refreshment to my soul. It has spurred me on follow and fellowship with Jesus and to dig into His Word that I might know Him truly. Through this brother God brought me correction, encouragement and a renewed sense of His guiding hand upon my life. After being together for those few days I thought about just how much of a gift fellowship really is. King David’s song rang in my ears,

“Behold, how good and how pleasant it is
For brothers to dwell together in unity!” Ps. 133:1

Apparently David and other worshipping Jews understood the rich blessing of being united as a people under their God. As New Testament believers we now have greater reason to rejoice under the loving reign of the One who has shed His own blood for our souls and who unifies us in the Body of Christ. No matter if it’s with a life-long friend or with a brother we just met last week, God has given us the gift of fellowship as a means of deepening our understanding of Him and to gain courage for our pilgrimage heavenward. As we walk though this world and live transparently before one another may we realize just how good and how pleasant Christian fellowship really is.

No comments: