Tuesday, September 23, 2008

A Sacrifice of Joy

I don’t know about you, but from the moment I exit my bedroom in the morning until the time I lay down at night my life screams at me. There are the practical matters of caring for my home and family, serving my husband in all that the Lord has called him to do, and tending to the many relationships in our family (the complexity of which multiplies exponentially with each added child!). There are places to go and appointments to keep; add to that serving in the church and keeping biblical fellowship alive in my various friendships! It can seem like someone is always in need and the demands on my time are constant. And if I am not careful, I could easily lose sight of why I do what I do.

John Piper has said, “If you live gladly to make others glad in God, your life will be hard, your risks will be high, and your joy will be full.”

When you think about it, that is really what our lives are all about as wives and mothers. We are daily seeking in all we say and do to highlight the wonders and magnificence of our Savior who brought forth the wonders of all creation, and who, for the joy set before him, endured the cross on our behalf that we might know everlasting life in Him. We want our children to know and enjoy the only One who can truly satisfy their every need and desire, who is strength in their weakness and more magnificent than they could ever search out in a lifetime. What a wonderful privilege and opportunity! The Lord didn’t promise us that it would be easy, but as we labor to reveal him to our children he does promise great reward!

Knowing why we labor as we do turns our children’s sin into an opportunity to demonstrate the wonder of God’s forgiveness and grace. It makes helping them with school work an opportunity to highlight His creative majesty, order, and power. It transforms working with our little ones to end an argument into a chance to more deeply understand the patient and steadfast love of our Savior. How can we not experience joy in the Lord as we anticipate the fruit of those labors. “And let us not grow weary of doing good, for in due season we will reap, if we do not give up.” Galatians 6:9

No comments: